Welcome!

This is where I put all my creative-but-anonymous writing. I like comments, so if you have any (constructive) ones, drop me a line.

Stories:
[The Workout][States]

Poetry:

[Boy Met Girl][The New Year][Wordsworthless]

Genres:

[Drama][General][Humor][Romance]

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Critical: Writing

Note: this is a rewrite, since the original accidentally got swallowed up two hours earlier.

      Writing's in my blood. I've been making up stories, and putting them down on paper ever since I've learned how to construct sentences. I've always thought I'd end up using the pen in some way when I grew up. True to form, I'm studying journalism now. Yet there's still the dream of becoming an author, of publishing a novel or even a collection of short stories. Then why, do you ask, did I not enrol in a creative writing course? Or why don't I join a writers' organization?
      The answer to the first is my favorite writers didn't take cw either. Before they published their books, they were doctors, soldiers, and yes, even journalists. As a media practitioner, I would get a more informed view of the world, and probably get to travel, too.
      Why didn't I join a writers' organization, then? To be honest, I was leery of them. Based on what I heard about them from students from the colleges that housed them and friends, there were two types of writers in those clubs: those that gave flowery praises not worth a damn, and those with the egos the size of small countries. The former would laud your stories without giving any real insight, then snicker once your back was turned. The latter would bully you with their supposed literary, theoretical existential clout, utterly convinced in their superiority.
      Those organizations also have a crab mentality, in that they drag a writer down if he or she shows real talent. I didn't want any of that poisonous environment.
      But, if that was the case, how was I going to improve my literary craft, without receiveing any feedback from my fellow writers? I turned to the Net, published this blog in hopes of getting insights. A few weeks later a friend (Will, I emailed my problem to you) directed me to a site where writers freely interacted and supported each other. So I joined that site, fell in love with it immediately. It seemed to fulfill that promise. We could focus on the writers' work, and not the superiority complexes that came attached to them.

      Right.
      I'm less upset now, but awhile ago I was extremely distraught. A drunk writer immediately lashed out at what he perceived to be an offensive and insulting review from me. Normally I'd apologize if indeed I lambasted someone, but this...this response was vitriolic and plain nasty. I'm certain I didn't leave an arrogant review; I COMPLIMENTED him, in fact, and the suggestions I gave were his to disregard as he will.
      His response, as I see it now, wasn't really the thing that upset me. After all, he could be drunk; he could be one of those writer-megalomaniacs. What distressed me was the realization I've strayed into another toxic environment.

      What should I do?

4 comments:

Will said...

I definitely understand how you feel... I hope my advise helps. I just want to encourage you to remember that one or two bad people don't make for a whole community. I took many creative writing classes in college, and there is a certain level of bullshit to shift through between the egomaniacs of different flavors (insecure, cruel, myopically obsessed, etc.). For me, it was a struggle, but ultimately I find that if I resort to living in my shell that I'll miss opportunities to grow and it will be very hard to keep motivated. All I can suggest, particularly online, is to block those who are of no help and try to stick with those who you feel comfortable with. I think it would be a real shame if you stopped writing, and I hope that if anything you'll continue looking to me for support and motivation.

Gabriela said...

I never share what I write with others, it just always feels like trash or something. I don't think I've got the talent, but still I keep writing cause I enjoy it that much. =)

The whole thing must be annoying for you. I don't have any advice, just, keep writing and don't let that get to you.

I'm sure you'll achieve everything you want to. =)

Anonymous said...

I love creative writing, too, and I have to say I don't know that you'll find the welcoming world you are thinking of in journalism. Before moving to Australia, I worked for a small (circulation 10,000 or so) newspaper; I worked my way up to being an editor for a particular section. Politics (and political correctness), money (advertising) and other issues will greatly affect what you get to write, and how you get to write it. Journalism can be a very rigid industry to be involved in, unless you're a laid back columnist, and I don't believe those sorts of jobs are all that easy to land. Travel and column writing is quite often getting done by freelancers these days. Have you ever considered freelancing while you're still in school? You may find a way in, even before you complete your degree.

As for writers organizations, national writers groups are, I've heard, pretty reliable, but talent or who you've properly networked with are still going to be the things that get you in. Personally, I believe with the current flooding of the print industry with writers, and not necessarily enough readers, it's becoming more and more who you know. I've also always heard going to the writers conferences is invaluable for meeting people who can help you get your foot in the door, but I cannot attest to that personally.

Your experience on the writing forum was bound to happen, too. To believe there is anywhere on the Internet or in real life where there is not going to be at least one asshole is to be living in a fantasy. I don't think it's really fair to the other writers of that group, too, to paint them with the same brush, saying it's a toxic environment for learning. That's sort of like saying, "I bought cherries without pits! I got a pit in that one! The whole jar's bad!" That's very unlikely. I wouldn't let one jerk ruin what could be a really good learning experience you!

Just don't reply to him in things again, and move on. Sounds like he has issues!

Will said...

I just want you to know that I've written a new poem, and that I miss reading your stuff. I hope that you're still writing, and even if writers' cafe isn't working for you, maybe you could share your stuff with me. Let me know how you're doing.